Monday, November 5, 2018

 

 

A Personal Reflection of Thanks

This year marks my third year at New Vistas School. So, during this season of thanksgiving, it is only appropriate for me to reflect on my time here thus far.

From the moment I walked through the doors of New Vistas School, I could sense a different kind of learning atmosphere from those to which I had grown accustomed. There was calm. There was peace. There was positivity. The age and charm of the building gave me a warmth and a feeling of belonging. The faces that I saw were happy ones. The teachers were happy. The students were happy. Ok, so there was ONE unhappy student that day, but that problem was solved, and that student, with the help of seasoned faculty, returned to class where engaged learning was taking place. The students’ art work hung on the walls. A former student was going through the Reading Lab books and sorting them. There was a feeling of community! I was particularly impressed by the aroma of chocolate on that particular day, as some genius teacher was using the making of brownies to teach a lesson. I knew I was home!

This place has not ceased to amaze me every day. I get to come to work every day to a place where lives are changed. There is intentionality in the purpose and mission of NVS to serve students who need what we offer. I have had the pleasure of teaching many of the bright minds whose families have lovingly placed them in our care. Through projects, activities, writing assignments, books, field trips, conversations, and simple hellos in the hallway, I have gotten to know students. I don’t mean just know their names. I have gotten to know what makes them laugh, what lights the fire of learning within them, what challenges them to dig deeper, and even what triggers them into negativity. And I look forward to many, many more opportunities to serve these students and learn along with them in the years to come.

And so, I thank YOU—YOU, who are taking the time to read my thoughts. YOU, who teach and lead alongside me every day, filling in the gaps when I fall short; YOU, who wave as you drop your children off to walk through these doors; YOU, who support this school by whatever means you do; YOU, who make the decisions that impact this school; YOU, who stop by my office to say, “Good morning, Ms. Harrison!”; YOU, who moan and groan at my homework assignments and my insistence on following the rules of the school: for all of YOU—I give thanks!

                                                                                                                                                                                                               

With a grateful heart!

Nancy K. Harrison

Assistant Head of School